St. Petersburg, Florida lawyer James W. Martin, B.C.S. is a Florida Bar Board Certified Real Estate Lawyer who drafts and reviews contracts, leases, deeds and easements, represents buyers and sellers at closings, and provides legal advice regarding Florida real estate and related probate, business, and litigation matters in Florida. He is rated AV by Martindale Hubbell and has written seven legal forms books for West Publishing and numerous articles for The Florida Bar Journal, The Florida Bar News, ALI-ABA The Practical Lawyer, and the American Bar Association. In addition to his law practice, he speaks at bar seminars, serves on the board of the Salvador Dali Museum, serves on the editorial board of ALI CLE The Practical Lawyer, and is an adjunct professor of law in contract drafting at Stetson University College of Law.
Referrals: Jim Martin welcomes new clients. If he is not able to handle the particular matter, he is often able to associate or refer to someone who can help. Much of his work comes through referrals from existing clients and other professionals.
Communication: Jim Martin personally communicates with clients and keeps them informed, and he sends them copies of correspondence and other documents as prepared and received.
Confidentiality: The relationship between a lawyer and client is founded on trust and confidence. So sacred is this relationship that information given by the client to the lawyer is a “privileged communication” which is recognized by the courts as confidential so that it cannot be disclosed without the client’s consent. Therefore, Jim Martin is careful in preserving the attorney-client privilege and in maintaining clients’ confidential information.
Fees and Billing: Fees are discussed in the initial conference. It is office policy to accept an initial, nonrefundable fee before opening a file and beginning work. Payment is due upon receipt of each invoice. If another payment method is needed, please discuss this at the initial conference. Jim Martin will answer questions about billing at any time.
Education: Georgia Institute of Technology co-op student; Stetson University B.S. degree in Mathematics; Stetson University College of Law J.D. degree in law
Certification: The Florida Bar Board Certified Real Estate Lawyer
Professor: Adjunct Professor of Law, Stetson University College of Law, Contract Drafting and Law Practice Management
Editorial Board: Editorial Board, ALI CLE The Practical Lawyer (formerly ALI-ABA)
Listings: Martindale-Hubbell AV, Marquis Who’sWho in America, Marquis Who’s Who in the World
Awards: Stetson University College of Law Hall of Fame; Stetson University College of Law Ben C. Willard Award
Nonprofit Leadership: Trustee and Secretary, Salvador Dali Museum, Inc., St. Petersburg, Florida
Civic Programs Graduate: Leadership St. Pete; Leadership Tampa Bay
Previous Public Offices: St. Petersburg City Council District 4 Councilman; Tampa Bay Regional Planning Council Councilman
Previous Florida Bar Positions: Probate Rules Committee Member; Coordinating Committee on Technology Chair; CLE Lecturer Nonprofit Corporations; RPPTL Law Office Management Committee Chair; Economics Advisory Service Committee (LOMAS) Member; Economics of Law Practice Committee and Law Office Management Section Secretary
Previous St. Petersburg Bar Positions: Real Property Law Section Chair; Probate Law Section Chair; Business Law Section Chair; Law Office Management Committee Chair
Court Admissions: All Courts of the State of Florida; U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit; U.S. Supreme Court
Author – Books:
- West’s Florida Legal Forms: Real Estate Transactions
- West’s Florida Legal Forms: Business Organizations (co-author)
- West’s Florida Legal Forms: Specialized Forms
- Florida Jurisprudence Forms: Legal & Business (pocket parts)
- West’s Legal Forms: Volume 29 Nonprofit Corporations 2nd, 3rd & 4th Editions
- West’s Florida Corporations System
Author – Articles:
- Fifty Tips for Writing the 21st Century Contract That Stays Out of Court, ALI-ABA The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, The Florida Bar Journal, ALI-ABA’s Practice Checklist Manual for Drafting Leases IV, ALI-ABA’s Real World Document Drafting: Form, Style and Substance, and Thomson West’s Foundations of Legal Research & Writing
- Fifty Tips for Writing the Contract That Stays Out of Court, ALI-ABA The Practical Real Estate Lawyer
- Tips for Handling the Complex Real Property Transaction (With Forms and Checklist), ALI CLE The Practical Real Estate Lawyer
- How to Write Contracts and Other Documents as a Professional in a Mechanistic World,” ALI-ABA The Practical Real Estate Lawyer
- How to Write Letters Nonlawyers Will Read , ALI-ABA The Practical Lawyer
- Drafting the Contract or Settlement Agreement That Stays Out of Court, The Brief, ABA Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice Section
- Ten Tips for Handling Complex Probate, ALI-ABA The Practical Lawyer, The Florida Bar Journal
- I Want to Sign an Electronic Will, ALI-ABA The Practical Lawyer
- Groundbreakers: Be Careful When Using Form Real Estate Contracts, ALI-ABA The Practical Real Estate Lawyer
Speaker – Seminars:
- Writing the Contract that Stays Out of Court, The Florida Bar Convention
- The Lawyer’s Conscience: Professionalism in Writing Contracts and Wills for a Mechanistic World, The Florida Bar Convention
- How to Write Letters Nonlawyers Will Read, The Florida Bar Convention
- Drafting the Settlement Agreement That Stays Out of Court, ABA Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice Section, ABA Convention, Chicago
- Drafting a Clear As-Is Agreement, St. Petersburg Bar Real Property Section
- Ten Tips for Handling Complex Probate, St. Petersburg Bar Probate Law Section
- Snakes in the Grass: Hidden Real Property Issues in Probate, St. Petersburg Bar Real Property and Probate Law Sections
- Tips for Handling Complex Real Property Transactions, ALI CLE American Law Institute Continuing Legal Education
Law Office of James W. Martin, P.A.
540 4th Street North
St. Petersburg, Florida 33701
Fax (727) 823-3479
Tel (727) 821-0904
Copyright 2015 by James W. Martin, P.A. All rights reserved.